Sunday, April 25, 2010

At the Moment: March for Babies

The blog post for this week was going to be a follow-up to last week's post, Back to Boards, and specifically address the involvement of Generation Xers and Yers in regards to board service; however, I just returned from the March of Babies walk, a fundraising event for the March of Dimes, and I wanted to briefly touch on the experience.

First, I overtly thank all of you who supported my participation in honor of my darling twin nieces, Lucia (pronounced "lu-see-a") and Amelia, who were born two months premature. (By the way, my posts on supporters' Facebook walls do not count as my official "thank you.") Because of people's generosity, I raised $1,825! This is a success for me considering my original goal was $500, and the first and last time I participated in such a fundraising event was at the Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk 2003 when I raised $1,260.

Second, as just mentioned above, I do not generally participate in these types of fundraising events but a week after I returned from New York City last month when I met L&A for the first time, my company sent out an email recruiting employees to participate in the March for Babies walk. I took the timing of the communication as a sign for me to register.

Third, the event seemed very well-attended but I must admit, I was a little overwhelmed with all the people, strollers, and dogs. I guess working predominately from home has taken its toll on my once-developed social skills. :-) Anyhoo, the walk in the brisk air took about 70 minutes but it felt good to support the March of Dimes. To babies!

And fourth, there is nothing more satisfying after a baby walk like brunch with a Bloody Mary followed by a strawberry cosmo! I so desperately wanted the lemon-ricotta hotcakes but my dairy-free diet does not tolerate such brilliance. Alas.

So anyhoo, now that I am back on the community service wagon, I have been thinking about which fundraiser I shall participate in next year. I need something bigger. The answer: the Red Ribbon Ride! This commitment is 100% inspired by my dear friend A.J. Bates (the partner of Irvin, who I have introduced to you before – happy 10 year anniversary guys!) who has participated in AIDS/LifeCycle since 2000. AIDS/LifeCycle is a seven-day bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Oy! The Red Ribbon Ride is only four days in Minnesota – whew! But I will most definitely need the upcoming year to prepare mentally and physically. Perhaps I should start by attending a spinning class – better yet – how about I first buy a bike?! Ha!

Best,
Hadley

3 comments:

  1. Hadley, Congrats on your March of Babies Walk! I think it's fantastic that you raised nearly $2000! That's so great!!!!

    AJ will be SO touched and pleased that you are doing the Red Ribbon Ride and that you were inspired by him! YAY! I hope MN is treating you well...If you need any riding advice or any buying a bike advice, be sure to holler AJ's way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Hadley! Congratulations! I am very excited for you to do the Red Ribbon Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support (and inspiration!) re: next year's Red Ribbon Ride. There's actually a ride this July but I'm not ready and I'm not asking people for more money on another health-related cause within the same year.

    But I meant what I said, I've always admired A.J. for participating in the AIDS/LifeCycle. What a commitment! But personally and until really this year, I haven't made fitness priority so I couldn't imagine partaking in such a wonderful cause. Times have changed. Game on. ;-)

    ReplyDelete