Sunday, February 7, 2010

At the Moment: Winter Reads

Winters are the perfect time for me to catch up on summer reads, especially since the weather here in Minneapolis is predictably murky with below-zero temperatures to snowfalls of 10 feet. (Boo!) So for the last couple of winters, I have found great pleasure when chilling out in front of the fireplace while listening to Sergei Rachmaninov or Die Zauberflöte (and, I shall not lie, equally played on my iPod are Alicia Keys and Lady Gaga) and reading about astrology, management, or personal finance.

Now, I know personal finance is not romantic by any means, so I have asked a couple friends to share some of their favorite winter reads. But this past December I developed a love for books about personal finance, which is perfectly in sync with the philosophy of my favorite chiropractor and dear friend, Eric Peay: “Smart gays finish rich!” Ha! Perhaps David Bach has his next book?!

Anyhow, Eric’s and my friends, human resources rising star Cole and his fashionista wife Jocely Bowman, introduced me to The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, and let me just say – this book has changed my life. Mr. Ramsey’s The Total Money Makeover provides seven baby steps which are unbelievably believable. It changed my paradigm on how to tackle debt and set realistic goals. I physically felt the downward spiral shift upward.

Some of the other books I recently read are Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey, The Seven 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen. R. Covey, and Stop Acting Rich by Thomas J. Stanley.

Then, there is The Hours by Michael Cunningham. This book is fabulous: three women, three stories, one choice. Each time I read it, it feels like I am reading it for the first time. I was introduced to it in 1999 and have had an affection for it ever since. (And the movie is equally as delicious.)

But currently, I am reading, err, skimming, The Secret Language of Destiny by Gary Goldschneider & Joost Elffers. This is 824 pages of pure enjoyment for those who believe in astrology and want (a refresher) to find their life purpose. And for you skeptics, do not knock astrology until you have tried it!


Now, the first friend to provide some recs is Peter Nguyen, a lawyer-turning-interior designer in San Francisco and the Edina to my Patsy. He and his partner Grant Kalinowski are unanimously “my fanciest friends.” He has introduced me to the fabulousness of lunching at the world famous French Laundry and then hours later enjoying spicy vegetarian Sloppy Joes, tater tots, and wedge salads in candlelight on the deck of their country house in Sonoma. His diversity is inspiring, and his choices are:

Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraiser. Peter said “it is like being at the Court of Versaille and that Ms. Fraiser’s historical research is impressive but her writing is engaging and approachable.” As someone who loves royalty, well, Queen Elizabeth I, I cannot wait to read this!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen. Peter said for all you Austen geeks, this is a silly one!

Another friend I solicited recs from is Kathryn Frankson, my go-to Minneapolitan who has more energy than most people will have in their lifetime. (Her love of the group fitness classes at Life Time Fitness is unmatched.) Although Kathryn has provided her recs below, I need to take a moment to take full responsibility for her new-fangled appreciation for astrology, a topic that she was once quite skeptical about. (My perseverance paid off!) Kathryn reads The Secret Language of Birthdays by Gary Goldschneider & Joost Elffers like it is a novel. Her commitment to being informed, engaged, and empowered is impressive, and her choices are:

BOOM! by Tom Brokaw. Kathryn found Mr. Brokaw to be “accurate and succinct” with the details of the 1960s. She felt that Mr. Brokaw’s use of personal stories and connections “really take you beyond the surface and offer a deeper look at this lasting impact” of this formative decade.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. Kathryn said Ms. Lamott’s writing was “hysterical, interesting, and self-deprecating.” She felt it provided “critical insights for writers and small, simple life truths that we can all enjoy.” I concur! I read this book in 2003 and have a copy of it if anyone wants to borrow it.

And my last friend to suggest a winter read is Erin Murdock, a lifelong friend still living in St. Louis and the mother of the nicest young man, my godson. She is an undiscovered talent who needs to be published. Her writing is intuitive and warm; both characteristics she exhibits in how she handles her friendships, as well. You can always rely on Erin to be insightful and courageous in telling you the truth. I keep telling her to write a book; the world would benefit from it. Erin’s choice is:

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. Erin found this to be “an intriguing read … it succeeded in raising your awareness and awakens your spirit.” (Perhaps Erin should also read The Secret Language of Destiny!) She stresses, though, that “each chapter requires thoughtful attention, and perhaps, meditation.” This definitely sounds like my type of book. Namaste!

Well, that is all that I have for now, friends. Hope you have a great week and Valentine’s Day!

Best,
Hadley


4 comments:

  1. Love it, Hadley! I love reading about people's favorites! Now I have a few new books to add to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loove loove it. So proud that you actually started it. Thanks for the shout out. I look forward to the travel edition and eager to read what you have to say about Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic!! I love getting recommendations for books! Also, another avenue to keep up with you! XXOO SFM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurry up - we're eagerly awaiting the next post! Haha

    ReplyDelete