Sunday, February 28, 2010

Travel: Minneapolis

I have never been to the Minnesota state fair. I have never eaten walleye. I just tried cheese curds last summer and have yet to see curling. I still own a rear-wheel drive auto, which is horrible in this snow-heavy climate, just horrible, and I still print out directions to navigate around Minneapolis proper.

Normally I would not consider putting my favorite hotels, restaurants, spas, and shops that reside in the same city as where I live in a “travel” post but even after two years of living in Minneapolis, it seems fitting. I do own a home here but I feel like a tourist. I have yet to really enjoy Minneapolis and cultivate my love affair with it. However, my ignorance about Minneapolis brings me bliss. On a weekly basis, more often than not, I learn something new about this city. I do desire many new experiences here but I have acquired some favorites along the way.


Hotels (and their lounges)
I have not yet stayed at either of these hotels but if I were visiting I would most definitely stay at one of them.

Hotel Ivy: From what I hear, the hotel is gorge – it is a Mobil Four-Star, AAA Four Diamond hotel. Yes, I have not even been inside but I have friends who expressed interest in having their wedding there. I want to try Tea at Ivy, an afternoon (or low) tea. Tea at Ivy is from 3 – 5pm daily and for more information other than what is on its website, you can check out a City Pages blog post (please note the blog post is answering a question about “high tea,” which is generally served from 5 – 7pm and much meatier, thus, taking the place of dinner; thankfully the blogger was able to decipher the intent of the question).

The Living Room at the W Minneapolis – The Foshay: This place is decadent and its Art Deco interior is fabulous. I have enjoyed The Living Room several times for after-work drinks with friends and have on the occasional Saturday evening swooped in for some merriment and libation. The scene has always been lively and stylish, people were lounging and mixing it up, and on Saturdays, the crowd danced away to the musical selections of the DJ. Much fun was had. Oh yes!


Restaurants
Even with my newly-implemented dairy-free diet, my love for food is still a main priority. However, I would not consider myself a foodie. (I actually do not even know the true definition of a foodie. Irvin, if you are reading this, can you please define?) I can certainly appreciate good food and good service, though. A few favorites in a few words:

La Belle Vie: Top contender for my graduation dinner! ’Nuff said.


La Grolla: This St. Paul restaurant is hands down my favorite Italian restaurant in the entire Twin Cities area. But here is my caveat: Sadly, I cannot recommend any one dish because both times I was there I was too distracted conversing with my dining companions that my recollection of the food is feeble. However, at a high-level, I remember my friends all commenting how delicious their meals were. Also, the ambiance was lively and the staff was charming.

Meritage: This French restaurant in St. Paul reminds me of a small Balthazar in New York City. I have always been fully engaged with the food here but French food is my favorite, thus, I am biased. Meritage is extremely energetic yet simultaneously romantic. If you go for brunch before a show at the Ordway, consider the croque madame. It is delicious yet not too heavy like how many of them are made, so you will not feel full and uncomfortable during your show.

Nicollet Island Inn’s Champagne Sunday Brunch: I have had a lot of brunches in my day but this is by far the best I have had in Minneapolis and quite possibly one of the best I have ever had anywhere. It is a fabulous five-course menu champagne brunch. The first course is an assortment of pastries. The second course is where the fun begins. If I remember correctly, I had the crème brûlée French toast, petit croquet monsieur, strip steak (which could have been a meal in and of itself), and the German chocolate cake. I remember being a little overwhelmed with the choices and champagne but without a doubt, you will love it like a fat kid loves cake.

Pizza Luce: For years I have sworn by the X-Pepperoni pizza at Dewey’s in St. Louis but I now can also swear by the Pizza Athena made vegan by Pizza Luce. It is made with spinach, tomatoes, calamata olives, artichoke hearts, red onions, Greek oregano and toasted garlic with soy cheese on bianca sauce. It is so tasty; there are so many flavors. It probably is a good thing that I do not live within Pizza Luce’s delivery area otherwise the Athena would become a staple in my diet.

Salut in Edina: Aside from serving my favorite cuisine, there is something about Salut in Edina that brings me pure joy. Perhaps because it is conveniently located near my house, perhaps because the food is consistent, or perhaps because its croque madame is my utmost favorite? “I’ll have the croque madame with a side of Lipitor, s’il vous plaît.” Heaven! Three friends swear by the steaks.

Sea Change: There are only three things I know about this restaurant: It is a sustainable seafood restaurant. The chef is a James Beard award winner. And, the braised beef shortrib is brilliant! Back in August 2009, my friends and I experienced the lip-smacking goodness of Sea Change but my friend’s shortrib tasted like the good life. Yums! But another friend, who was coincidentally at a nearby table, said his arctic char was the best he had ever had, so that sounds worthwhile, as well. The next time I dine there, I may have to order both!

Wilde Roast Cafe: This coffeeshop is my favorite place to study when I need a change in scenery. I have spent hours in this café doing homework and enjoyed several of its goodies. It has a lovely selection of teas, sandwiches, and breakfast/brunch items. But really, it just serves as a nice escape, and the friendly staff and cute clientele are bonuses. :-)


Shops
Classic Retro @ Pete’s: There is an area in the Twin Cities called the St. Paul Retro Loop, which is a consortium of mid-century modern shops. And within the loop is Classic Retro @ Pete’s, which has some awesome pieces. I purchased this little Florence Knoll chair that I use in my dressing room and a brilliant Danish wooden bowl. Pete’s does not have a website, so its information is below:

2145 University Avenue West
St. Paul, MN 55114
(651) 224-5235

Hours: Wed–Sat 11–5; Sun 12–4

Intoto: Hands down one of my favorite boutiques in any city. The clothes are hip yet appropriate. I think Intoto buys one full run of each piece (do not quote me on that), so you risk someone else buying it if you do not buy it then. Trust me; I missed out on the opportunity to purchase this awesome green plaid Paul Smith jacket but I consoled myself with three cashmere Inhabit sweaters, which by the way, is the best cashmere I have ever owned. It feels like money. Anyhow, Intoto has (re-)introduced me to some fantastic brands: A.G. Jeans (its jeans are baby-making worthy and can make anyone look good!), Citizens of Humanity, Etro (guiltiest pleasure, more so than La Mer or Louis Vuitton), C.P. Company, Rag & Bone, and others. And store manager Michael B. and his team are super nice.



Art & Culture
Minneapolis has an amazing arts community which includes well-known visual arts institutions (Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Walker, Weisman), music venues (Orchestra Hall, First Avenue), and tons of theatre, I mean tons – it is second to New York City in terms of live theatre per capita. I have two absolute favorite ways of supporting the arts, both of which are at the Ordway and I would participate in either of them even without their young professional membership programs:

The Minnesota Opera: Enjoying opera is something that I have always aspired to and am finally mature enough to appreciate it. Without much thought, I realized that this is the first season that I am seeing all the operas (“The Pearl Fishers,” “Casanova’s Homecoming,” “Roberto Devereux,” and this Saturday is “La bohème” and in April is “Salome”) of a company within one season. The Minnesota Opera allows persons aged 21 – 39 to join its Tempo membership program and to purchase a pair of opening night tickets for each opera at a ridiculously discounted price of $30 each. This program is so generous.

The St. Paul Chamber Orchestra: The way I felt about opera is the same I felt about classical music and luckily I can ease into it with SPCO concerts through its club2030. This membership program is available for 18 – 39 year olds and you can get a pair of tickets for selected concerts for $10 each. Since joining this program, I have only been to the “Welcoming Christian Zacharias” concert and it was super delightful. Prior to club2030, I saw “Beethoven’s 5th Symphony” and a concert with Dawn Upshaw but both were equally enjoyable.



Gifts
If I were a florist I would be Bastian + Skoog. Without ever having met Liz Bastian and Heidi Skoog, I have been able to just convey a few adjectives and known facts about those that I have sent arrangements to and Bastian + Skoog was able to create floral arrangements that were gorge. I cannot wait until my Total Money Makeover days are over so that I can order weekly arrangements for my house from Bastian + Skoog.

So, thanks letting me share a few of my favorite things about Minneapolis. I look forward to discovering more things about this city and its fabulousness.

Best,

Hadley



1 comment:

  1. You make me want to visit Minneapolis! When previously I had only really wanted to visit the twin cities for a possible chance at running into Prince.

    That said, I am not really the right person to ask about the definition of foodie. Mostly because I ABHOR the word. That said, I probably (in some broad sense) fall into the category of a foodie.

    I believe the term is an informal word describing someone obsessed with food. Though it's used interchangeably with the word gourmet they have slightly different connotations.

    A gourmet is usually (not always) someone who is a professional, or has professional ties with the food industry, and usually has a refined palate and enjoys fine dining at it's pinnacle. They want the best of everything.

    A foodie tends to be more amateur in nature and are obsessed with not just high food, but low food and everything in between. Not only that, but they are interested and obsessed with not just the food itself, but the process it is made, what it is made of, the trends and the celebrity cult status of the chef.

    The reason I don't like the word "foodie" in describing myself is that I don't like to be associated with people who are constantly chasing the latest trend (ooohhhh...macarons are SO in now!) as opposed to discovering what they love on their own and refining their own palette. It's a fine line though, as I don't have any actual ties to the food industry (yet) and do follow the food trends. I also don't like to be described as a gourmet as I do love my high food and my low food.

    I guess if I had to use a word to describe me I go with gourmand, someone who take great pleasure in good food. But out of most of my friend (Peter excluded) I tend to be the one that everyone asks food questions when something comes up, so who knows. Maybe I am a gourmet and foodie as well. I DO know at work I'm the food consultant guy that they ask questions when they need an answer in regards to food...I should make them give me new business cards. Senior Designer and Food Consultant.

    ReplyDelete