Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Plate 52, Week 2: Parma 8200

For my second Plate 52 dinner, last Friday I went to two-month old Parma 8200 in Bloomington in a corporate park. Parma 8200 is the type of restaurant that could easily be listed as a first-ring suburb power lunch hotspot and where you could run into your step-first cousin once removed sampling the happy hour menu and then a little while later see your divisional CEO walk in. :-)

When I met former colleagues and friends Lynn Stano and Becky Benson at 4:30 PM, there were probably fewer than 30 people in the bar area during happy hour. However, the same cannot be said around 7 PM – the place was packed. This gives me hope for their sustainability for dinner service. Speaking of, let’s talk about the dining experience.

Let me introduce you to Andres the waiter. He was soft spoken but his tone allowed you to romance the menu. He was knowledgeable and descriptive in a way that would even tempt a vegan to eat some butter. He was never pushy or impatient and was happy to re-describe items as the three of us were undecided due to the all the delicious sounding options. After Andres repeated the specials again, we were all in agreement with sharing the asparagus and we each got the swordfish special.

The first plate served was their cheese garlic bread. Ummm, it was pretty freakin’ delicious. The cheese dissolved on your lips and it wasn’t greasy like a lot of other cheese breads I’ve tried in the past. I was kind of hoping Lynn and Becky didn’t want anymore but alas. Ha!

Next up was the asparagus with burrata, hazelnuts, and brown butter. OMG, it was like dessert. That brown butter was sinfully delicious. I even spoon-fed myself some of the remaining brown butter. I know, classy.

And lastly was the seared swordfish, which had a caper reduction garlic Italian sauce, and seared fingerling potatoes with fennel. Lynn and Becky loved this dish. I admit that it was quite flavorful, though not complex, but my issue was the texture. To me, the swordfish had this ravioli texture, which I couldn’t get over.

All in all, I’d say the plates were good. The service was very good.

- Hadley


Also tried: Ciao Bella

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad I didn't steer you wrong and you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the fact that I may have gained a pound just reading this, I love that my dinner date (should I be so lucky) list of options has now expanded! Thanks for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete